Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

D.I.Y. Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal Packs




I love oatmeal.  My husband loves oatmeal.  My kids love oatmeal.  My pocketbook...does NOT love oatmeal.  At least not the pre-packaged, single serving type.  With two older kids and myself alone, we could easily go through a box of the Quaker oaty goodness within a couple days, so the cost can add up.  And I am the queen of the saying "Every little bit makes a difference...(and makes me feel less guilty for dropping the $4.25 for my occasional Starbucks fix) ".  Plus I like to have control over my family's food as much as possible, so this recipe is another quick, easy and tasty little money saver that I frequently use and hope you will begin to use as well.  And the best part?  The ingredient list is small, simple and deliciously customizable, so how could anyone complain? 

Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal   (Print Recipe)
(makes one single serving)

Ingredients
1/3 c. instant oatmeal
2 tbsp. chopped dehydrated apple slices
1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt


In a snack sized ziploc bag, add all the dry ingredients.  Roughly chop a couple dehydrated apple rings and throw them into the bag.  I get mine in the loose bulk section at WinCo for pennies, but you can also find them at pretty much any grocery store these days.  Seal shut and shake shake shake until everything is well combined.  Store in a dry, cool place until you're ready to cook it.  Seriously, it's that easy.


Cooking Instructions
Dump the entire contents from one ziploc bag into a microwave safe bowl.  Add 2/3-1 cup of water, depending on how thick you like your oatmeal.  Cook in the microwave on high for 2 minutes and 25 seconds.  That's it, that's all you do, and you have delicious, healthy, apple cinnamon oatmeal.  I use just the 2/3 cups of water because I like to add a little milk after the oatmeal has cooked to help cool it off as well as give it a nice, creamy texture.  But it's all a matter of personal choice.


I make my oatmeal packets in large batches and then store all of the individual ziplocs in a little basket in my pantry.  Then when I want to cook some up, I just grab how many packets I need, throw it in a bowl, add the water, toss it in the microwave and in two minutes I have breakfast...or lunch...or a snack.  You get the point.  These packs are also perfect to take into work with you to keep in your drawer to have in case you're in a rush and forget breakfast one morning.  I also have a few packets of these in my "emergency bag" in my car for an easy, just in case meal.  I can't say enough about how easy and yummy these are.  And they literally cost pennies compared to what you pay for the individual boxed ones you get in the store.  It's a win, win!  

Oh!  And as I'd mentioned before, this is a fabulous base recipe for many instant oatmeal flavors.  Sometimes I will omit the apple rings and substitute them with chopped walnuts then right before cooking throw in a little bit of chopped up banana and get a delicious banana nut oatmeal.  It's just as amazing, just as easy and just as big a money saver.  Be creative.  I'm sure there are about a bajillion flavor combos you can come up with.




2 comments:

  1. I love this! Those instant oatmeal packets are ridiculously expensive and this is a great alternative. PS have I mentioned that you ROCK at photographing food ;-)? Love you, Cupcake Lady <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. They ARE ridiculously expensive for what you get. And now that I've been making my own, the stark overpricing of them is overwhelmingly obvious. I could never go back to buying them now that I've made my own. You should try the banana nut kind I talked about also. It's delicious. I actually like that one better, but my kids love the apple cinnamon one so I posted this recipe instead. :) Oh and thank you. I've been working on improving my skill. I've definitely come a long way from when I first started, ha ha!

    And where do I find your blog so I can join it and become a follower? <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily