Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Homemade Paper Fortune Love Note Cookies



The hubbs and I have always appreciated handmade gifts. We're both sentimental romantics at heart. In fact, I think Shnook is more sentimental than I am. He has a very large box that he keeps all of the cards, love letters, little doodles, etc. that I've given him throughout the years and no one is allowed to touch it without losing an arm. Though the longer we've been together, the harder it's gotten to come up with new ideas. When we first started dating, I would put together little tidbits like custom crossword puzzles or love coupons that were traded between the two of us. And one Valentine's Day a few years back when I couldn't eat any type of sugar, Matt bought a heart shaped box of chocolate, emptied it out and in each little slot where the piece of chocolate went he glued a little note saying something as to why he loved me and titled an accompanying love note that said "Sweets for my Sweet". So you can imagine a couple weeks ago when our 12 year wedding anniversary was approaching I wanted to do something special to remind him how much I love and appreciate him and his uncanny ability to put up with me. Because, let's face it, I can be bat shit crazy most times  sometimes, and yet he still loves me anyway. 


The first thing I did to get the creative juices flowing was decide where we were going to eat. We have a favorite teppan grill nearby that makes the most amazing food, so that lead me toward an Asian direction. Then I remembered seeing a tutorial on Pinterest for felt fortune cookies. I knew I didn't want to go the felt route so I started searching for paper fortune cookies and sure enough I found this simple paper fortune cookie tutorial rather quickly. Easy peasy! For the fortune cookies, the list of supplies is super simple: 


-Paper for the "cookies" 
-Printed fortunes (I made mine on the computer, then printed and cut them out) 
-Scissors 
-Glue 


We have been married for 12 years so I wanted to make 12 cookies with individual fortunes that said a reason why I loved my Shnook. Each fortune was formatted like so: 


I am fortunate because... 
       You are the best snuggler ever


I made 12 seperate fortunes, printed them on a sheet of paper and then cut them out freehand.  Then I dug through my scrapbooking paper and found some simple, tan abstract paper that resembled the look of a fortune cookie and followed the tutorial I found online.  It was seriously easy.  The hardest part was having the patience it took to hold each paper cookie long enough for the glue to set before I moved on to my next cookie.


Once I finished all of the cookies, I stuffed each one with a fortune and then piled the cookies into a chinese take out box.  Then I cut out a cute label that I attached to the box that said "Thank you for the 12 years of fortune" and added a contrasting bow.  Super simple yet super cute. I gave the hubbs my gift after dinner, when it was perfect timing and he loved it.  It cost nearly nothing to make yet was "worth a fortune" sentiment wise. ;) The only thing that was able to top his box of cookies was the big red bow that adorned my neck...with nothing else, later that evening.  Cookies and nookie.  What couple can complain about that on an anniversary night?



2 comments:

  1. That is SO cute Teresa! You make is sound so simple!! I bet he LOVED it!! It's nice to get reminded why you are loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) He really did like it, thankfully. He was the one who actually told me I should pin it/share it.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily